I know you may have heard of virgin coconut oil and its many benefits—and I tell you, it’s not hype people! Based on a lot of scientific studies, virgin coconut oil is the richest source of saturated fats made up of medium chain triglycerides where studies have shown to prove that it has therapeutic effects instead of being an artery clogging food. It also boosts energy expenditure and has an appetite reducing effect too! Aside from putting it in food, it is also great on skin and hair.
This smoothie utilizes coconut oil mixed with greens and some mango just to take an edge off the bitterness of the Kale. If you are not a green smoothie fan, try adding coconut oil to your favorite fruit smoothie. I find that it blends well with frozen fruit (although I have seen a complaint that it solidifies when used with frozen fruit, I have been fine with it when consumed immediately). You can mix it up with plain water, but I think using coconut milk or coconut water tastes better and that adds a bunch more nutrients.
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 medium rib celery, chopped
- ½ cup frozen organic mango
- 1 cup organic kale, ribs and stems removed)
- Coconut Milk or Coconut Water to fill line
- Add all ingredients to your large nutribullet cup, saving water for last.
- Once you have filled the cup with water to the fill line, puree ingredients to desired consistency.